Hi David, *

David Nelson schrieb:
[...]

Personally, I feel that it would be most useful if the Design team
were to keep its eye truly on the ball and work on new UI/UX designs
for the LibreOffice software. That is actually the most pressing
task we'd have for you guys, IMHO.

As you stated several times in the past, your thoughts about what other
people should do are not necessarily helpful for volunteers spending
their free time on supporting LibreOffice.

Every contributor is free to spend his or her time and dedication to the
area of personal interest in LibreOffice.

If you want to work actively on Design, your welcome. If you think
someone else should do this or that - convince him (by money, if your
arguments are not heard otherwise).
[...]

My personal feeling is that the Design team is slightly
over-extending its remit with an initiative that is non-crucial if
not trivial, and for which there is not a general consensus. I'd much
rather see you guys focused on working with the devs on UI/UX design
for the LibreOffice software.

You truly mistake the area of work for the Design Team. It is not only
about UI and UX - it's branding and visual identity too.

And this is one of our central marketing and community interaction areas.

Your personal opinion seems to differ quite far from what I understood
is the main position in LibreOffice marketing.

LibreOffice should not be positioned in the "hacker corner", but in the
middle of the ring. A valid alternative to MS Office for even the most
conservative corporate user.

This will not be achieved by diversity, but consistency and professional
(writing in a foreign language I don't know a better word for it)
positioning in the market. A consistent visual identity is important here.

I don't want to decide, if these thoughts are reasonable for the
documentation team or any other team inside the LibreOffice community.

I always told you and everybody else, that the result of this discussion
would be recommendations and guidelines, no rules or imposed obligations.

If a team or an individual decides not to follow the recommendations,
it's their decision. Only if such a decision would have an important
impact on the overall community, the SC would be asked to find a way of
positive interaction or decision in this topic.

[...]  you're trying to impose a standardized theme and working rules
on the English docs team and website team when there is a
non-negligible number of people voicing disagreement with various
aspects of the premises you've adopted and what you're trying to
achieve.

Perhaps you understand now, that our discussion here is not about imposing anything, but to find the best and easiest way to improve LibreOffice by visual means.

Doc team, website team, design team, marketing team and all the other teams in LibreOffice are part of one large community.

And sometimes their areas of interest and expertise overlap.

We tried to find a way to combine the efforts of marketing and documentation - and a lot of comments in this thread from people based in various teams (including the doc team) show that they support this idea.

You don't.

It's your personal right to vote against this proposal and contribute any screenshot you want to. If they will be included in the final user guides is a decision of the doc team.

Perhaps they decide based on a new recommendation about screenshots, but they are not forced to.

So let's end this discussion and go on working in the areas every contributor is interested in without being to by others what he should do...

Regards

Bernhard