And all this being said, LibreOffice may be developed by a "hacker culture," but it won't be used
predominantly by one (at least, so is the hope). It's helpful to users of Microsoft Office to know
that the interface will remain more or less constant no matter which computer they're using, which
is why there was such an uproar when they switched to the Ribbon interface.

I don't think anyone's trying to stifle what LibreOffice can do by asking for a uniform theme, but
we should take care that at the very least that screenshots look similar. Keep in mind that many of
the mockups being proposed in the future involve a lot of icons, which can vary dramatically from
theme to theme. Enough so, actually, that a screenshot could become entirely useless because what
you see there isn't at all representative of what's on the screen in front of you.

And Marc, what I meant in my mail was not that NeoOffice is "better" or that LibreOffice needs to
follow its footsteps, but rather that NeoOffice was an example of Mac users preferring that
OpenOffice.org integrate better with the default system themes, and choosing it as a result.

I think that the uniqueness coming from many distributions of Linux is a huge strength, but
LibreOffice needs to be different (or shown differently) for functional reasons, not just for the
sake of distinguishing it from the "corporate culture." Same goes with interface designs, for me--
but that's another thread.
--
Christopher Lee
Executive Director