Hi Björn,

Sorry for stepping in here. The results are just what it says in the
post. Yes, we did an analysis of data that was not gathered for this
kind of analysis in the first place. As it cannot be used to proof any
hypothesis (no statistical study can anyhow - read Popper on this
topic) - the data cannot falsify the hypothesis that more detail is
worse than less detail - but it can falsify the hypothesis that there
is no difference between more and less detail icons in this particular
setting. This is a value.

So, first of all, the hypothesis makes some sense to me, logically.

However, the problem here is that the categorisation seems pretty
random: "low-detail" icons have small text on them, have delicate
lines, contain many elements, etc. You don't seem to have published
how you categorised the icon, either (maybe I haven't looked hard
enough). If you look at the comments below the post, I am clearly not
the first to have noticed. This is, btw, not the only concern about
the validity of the more-is-worse analysis.

So, all the study proves is that some icons are more readable than
others – which is useful in itself of course.

Esp. as Heiko did not cite the study to proof anything.

Sorry about overreacting there.

Astron.