On 01/29/2013 05:49 PM, Thibaut Brandscheid wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com <mailto:jslozier@gmail.com>> wrote:

    In general I agree that some of the buttons are used less
    frequently and that many users may not realize what they do.
    Parallel to your ideas is are there buttons that should be
    displayed that currently are not displayed?

I don't think right now that any toolbar button should be added, but maybe some functionality.

It would be nice if there was a way to easily create a table of contents (currently much too hidden in the menus) - could be added to the 'Apply Style' menu at the bottom. Adding page numbers to the footer or header is to complicated too.

Do you write lengthy documents? I ask because these seem to be issues when someone is writing large document. Another item is inserting footnotes/endnotes.

    For example Close is one button I like to have on my tool bar.
    Cleaning up and deleting rarely used buttons and replacing them
    with more useful ones is a good topic to explore. I suspect there
    will some disagreement about which buttons are relatively useless
    and should be replaced, personally I would keep the table button.

Writer has currently too many buttons and therefore they should be dramatic reduced. One or two new icons would be IMHO okay, but don't refill the whole cleaned-up space.

    I think the typical button layout borrows heavily from earlier
    programs from as far back as the 80's and buttons these programs
    displayed. Truthfully, I do not know how much good research has
    been done on this topic or even if there really was any research
    done in the beginning.

o0

    Typically I will add buttons I want to the tool bars, rarely will
    I delete any of the default buttons. Also, I prefer using the
    small size because I can have more buttons displayed on the tool
    bar (possibly another topic).

Reducing the icon size more than a few pixels is a no-go, there are hell of a lot of people out there having problems to target small UI elements -> http://goo.gl/6Lqvh

If the option to change the button size is available I think the default size is probably suitable for most.
Regards
Thibaut

--
Jay Lozier