Hi Astron,

[1b] http://user-prompt.com/more-is-worse-about-detail-in-icons/

Please don't refer to this particular post for proof of anything any
more – you admitted to rationalising after you had the results in
this
case. As such, this part of the icons study is imho rather useless.
(Your efforts in analysing our UI are more than welcome in general –
LibO 4.0 shipping with floppy icons again is a direct result of your
work – I am only taking offence with advertising this particular
post.)

Sorry for stepping in here. The results are just what it says in the
post. Yes, we did an analysis of data that was not gathered for this
kind of analysis in the first place. As it cannot be used to proof any
hypothesis (no statistical study can anyhow - read Popper on this
topic) - the data cannot falsify the hypothesis that more detail is
worse than less detail - but it can falsify the hypothesis that there
is no difference between more and less detail icons in this particular
setting. This is a value. A lot of scientific studies are on this
level. This is not (and never claimed to be) THE answer. It is a little
piece of the mosaic and should encourage us to do more research on this
particular topic - perhaps with study design for this sole purpose. If
we do not use the data we have for looking at open questions, we will
never proceed. So please be a little more reserved with your criticism.
Esp. as Heiko did not cite the study to proof anything.

All the best,
Björn

--
Dipl.-Psych. Björn Balazs
Business Management & Research

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer Björn Balazs