Hi Thibaut, Heiko

On 29 January 2013 23:04, Thibaut Brandscheid <randaltor@web.de> wrote:
Hi Astron

Thanks for your detailed answer. I can't promise to do the data analysis in
the wiki but will have a look at it.

Thanks! I have uploaded the file to

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/OOo31_Usage_Feedback_Data.ods

(To my defense, I actually did upload it yesterday.)

LO is a huge project and I assume that
it's sometimes complicated to reach consensus on UI changes. People like
what they already know... an old problem for all lateral thinkers.

Well, reaching (complete) consensus is not actually necessary –
finding a developer and getting some sort of lazy consensus is enough.
The problem, for the most part lies in the former.

I focus on Writer UI stuff here, but I have many other points on how LO
could be improved. The longer I think about it - the more I will find. The
problem is time and to channelize it in a way it is potentially useful to
you.

Since Mirek already linked you to some – have a look at our
whiteboards and see if you think that process works for you.

Most of the time, I open Writer to write stuff, so highlighting spelling
errors makes sense. When I'm done with writing, there is no need to recheck
the whole text - it's already done. Second argument, browser has only an
auto-spell-checker tool, too.

Ah, ok. So you do in fact want some sort of reading mode?

If I open a file in another language to read it I sometimes deactivate the
auto-spell-checking to get rid of the red underlines below every word in the
text.
Btw. auto language recognition would be suuuuuuch a great feature.

Not completely sure, but I think we already have some piece of code
that tries to make educated guesses to fill the context menu. Anyway,
I agree.

... that are all more power user use-cases.

Right, but everyone can cater to basic users – and it seems we are
already losing this fight against the likes of Google Docs, not to
mention Office 365. So, supporting power users is one way to stay
relevant, I guess.

The 'Styles and Formatting'
button kind of duplicates and enhances the drop-down-menu next to it. I
guess that an average user will be completely happy with only the
'ApplyStyle' drop-down-menu and will not even notice the removal of the
'Styles and Formatting' button.

Probably true.

1g - Remove the button labeled 'Default' in the lower left corner. Its
label is unclear and the button adds no value to the UI (remember
average
user point of view).

This is a quick style switcher. Arguably, either this combo box or the
style button should probably go in the longer run.

The button is confusing, why do I have to double click it, whereas a single
click opens the language menu next to it? Having a quick way to access the
page settings is nice but it is too hidden, so "nearly" nobody will notice.

First of all, sorry I misunderstood you: I thought you were speaking
of the style combobox in the Formatting toolbar instead of something
in the status bar.

Also, yes, I agree that it should better go elsewhere where it seems
closer/more related to the page.

1i - Remove the small paper icons left from the zoom panel. I don't get
what it is useful for after trying them several times and guess that
normal
users would struggle here too.

These can be quite useful. They are for enabling book and multiple
pages mode – I assume you tried them with a single page in the window?

Two pages with a page break in between.

We could improve the feedback here, I guess, e.g. by showing one or
multiple "ghost pages" when enabling book/multiple pages mode.

I tried it now with a longer document and it still doesn't make much sense
to me ^^
When using the multiple-page-mode you have to use massively the scroll bars
- feels broken.

You mean the book mode, I assume (first page on the right)? Guess it's
hard to make it look like a book layout without showing the two pages
next to each other. :)
The multi-page mode otoh adapts to the size of the screen.

In any case, I just noticed, these buttons lack any sort of tooltip –
definitely a bug.

1k - Move the 'Align Right' and 'Justified' text formatting button into
[...]
On a small screen, they get cut off right now - that's a massive UX problem
because one of the Writers main functions gets hidden too easily.

Agree, that's quite a problem.

You could pay someone to get the "boring" stuff done - using donation money.
When donating money, it's nice to know that it helps LO, but you don't see
really what is done with it - LO works as it has in the past.

The donation money is currently mostly used to pay for web
servers/hosting, to bring people together through hackfests/the annual
conference, the foundation etc. Using it to pay otherwise volunteer
contributors could be a bad idea, because it can be detrimental to the
community at large. (Why is this person paid, but not I?, Why should I
contribute again if I don't get money for it again?, etc.) Not saying
it always is.

Maybe you have too many icons :)

Sure, I do, I'm using the default settings...

I just took a look at the Google docs tool bar and damn it, it looks good
and clean:
http://ubuntuone.com/5a3NbVMN5a1MUUZAdjYB7o

They have a maximum of three layers of click-able items, mostly two (the
text formatting tool bar and the ruler).

Also, they have two horizontal lines and three grey background shades. :)

Is there any chance to see a clean-up of the current UI in the near future?

There is always something small that changes and it would seem easy to
e.g. remove a few toolbar items, especially because all you have to do
is edit a few XML files. It's unlikely though, that you will ever see
big-bang changes, simply because neither the regular and short release
cycle nor the diverse community are really a good fit for that model.

Astron.