Re: [libreoffice-website] CMS requirements / suitability testing

Keith,

On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Keith Williams wrote:

> Oh, I've been using Drupal for about 4+ years and know just about every
> aspect of the system from theming to module development to performance. I'm
> not an expert at it but I can at least show you some "cool" stuff it does.
> I'd be willing to do this for a group of people using web conferencing, if
> someone has access to that.
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Keith Williams <
> kwilliams@thoughtfarmproductions.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd set up a demo, if you send me what the requirements are. I can
>> probably do this in a day or two.
>>
>> You seem to be fairly set on silver stripe and if thats what you want then
>> by all means do that. If you want a demo of Drupal and a site to kick
>> around let me know. I can even show you how to use some of the major
>> features. I'd like you to show me silverstripe in return though.

Can you make a clone of the current Document Foundation website in Drupal? The site's pretty simple so it won't show us too much, but it's a starting point.

The organizational structure of TDF, as I understand it, is to build consensus by discussing with the community. If one person wants to build our core infrastructure on a particular platform, ideally he or she will convince the majority of the group of its merits before going ahead and just doing it.

Christian: Please do not just go ahead with this because you want to get it done. It's really important to thoroughly review the options and honestly take the community's feedback into consideration.

Here are some comments from a developer friend of mine:

--
Don't know much about SilverStripe, but here is a good post that you might want to point your discussion to:
http://seancoates.com/blogs/why-i-wont-recommend-silverstripe

Here's the bottom line as far as I see it:

If you are trying to do something quick with nothing innovative and a low-skilled end user, then almost anything BUT drupal is a better choice (though I've actually discovered that some low-tech users find my adjustments to drupal eaiser than wordpress).

If you are needing to be quick and extremely low budget, then almost anything but drupal is a better choice.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for a complex, scalable site with good performance and a degree of customizability for innovation paralleled only by a complete custom solution, Drupal is your only choice.

Drupal 7 is proving to have the level of ease that people are appreciating in Wordpress and SilverStripe, and so should be examined even though it is technically not production ready.

A DrupalGardens or Buzzr site can be exported to a full drupal site at a later date if you are looking for quick and easy to get started.

SilverStripe is worrying because the code is less universal, developed by one company, where Drupal is standard PHP and there are over 7500 contributed modules....

Pressflow is a version of drupal that has been streamlined for high end performance and is really worth checking out.
--

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
bhorst@mac.com