Hi Benjamin,

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Benjamin Horst <bhorst@mac.com> wrote:
On Oct 11, 2010, at 10:43 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

One demo just isn't enough to be sure! I think trying out a new CMS is a major project risk.

This is true for any CMS.

Well, I disagree. If it is so complicated to get right, then maybe its
not the right one..

I was not referring to Drupal here. I was referring to all CMSs, indeed to all software.

You wrote something along the lines "you need years of experience with
that cms, otherwise all your attemts will probably fail". Well, I see
it more pragmatic.

If SilverStripe is so simple, then it's probably got limitations you have yet to run into in
your testing, but we'd likely encounter when trying to build a large and complex site.

Yes. in case we should encounter any problems, then we can fix
them/work around them. silverstripe is opensource just like drupal is.

[...]
I think this would be a major mistake. My recommendation for Foswiki did not seem to get any
serious attention because someone just went ahead and installed MediaWiki.

Yes. Nice talking doesn't get you anywhere if actions don't follow.
MediaWiki is what is used for the OOo-Wiki, thus people are familiar
with it, so obviously it was amongst the top choices. But I didn't
follow the wiki discussions.

It seems the same is happening again here. You're advocating SilverStripe and have already got

Yes. Because I will be amongst those people involved in admin stuff
regarding the server, thus I needed first-hand experience with the
system and just happened to choose that because I didn't have to hunt
down information on how to create a suitable setup, etc.

people installing and testing it. Have you also insisted they do the same with Drupal,

They? Well - if you remember the initial posting I asked for people to
setup demo sites that fullfill the requirements I had layed out/asked
for more.
Nothing happened appart supporters of their CMS of choice praising the
system without providing something to use/try out.

Believe me that if I wouldn't be convinced that silverstripe is up to
the task, then I'd not suggest it.

The drupal, plone, wordpress, etc. demos out there did leave me with
disappointment, given how much praise they got.

Sure, with the year-long experience you need to pick the extension
stuff that works, you can setup a site that will meet the
requirements, this didn't happen, thus I went along with what I got.

in order to thoroughly compare and contrast the two? If not, that should be a high priority.

Again. You cannot compare if nobody is willing to set up a demo. Again
to stress this: Time is very limited, we need to have something
workable.

If it tunrs out that silverstripe has limitations that cannot be
overcome, I won't be to stubbord to admit the mistake and migrate to
another system. But I don't expect that to happen.

[...]
I think the static pages question is a red herring. With memecached and similar technologies,
there's no performance benefit to static pages.

Might be, but it surely helps me to sleep well :-)

ciao
Christian