Hi :)
Aww heck that'd be brilliant!  If TDF could take Thunderbird under their
wing instead of leaving it with Mozilla.

Mozilla don't seem to appreciate just how many people rely on Thunderbird.
It's the best OpenSource email client around, in the opinion of a huge
percentage of people apparently.

People, and articles have often said that LibreOffice could never compete
with MSO because it lacks an email client.  Completely missing the point
that so many great email clients integrate so well with LibreOffice.  Maybe
if there was a kinda default one and if that was as great as Thunderbird is
then it'd cut a lot of detractors off at the knees.

Sorry!  I do agree with your main points!
Regards from
Tom :)