Hi, answer inline,

Liebe Grüße, / Yours,
Florian Reisinger

Am 03.10.2014 um 19:08 schrieb Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org>:

On 10/3/2014 12:35 PM, Florian Reisinger <florei@libreoffice.org> wrote:
a) new bugs that are introduced with new code from existing/current
developers, and that these devs should 'own their code' - meaning be
willing to fix bugs when they are confirmed *and* push the changes to
the releases without resorting to responses suggesting users fix it
themselves and/or pay someone else to do it,

and

b) and old/pre-existing/legacy bugs that were introduced by someone long
gone...

I ask again - are you in disagreement with the above? If so, please, by
all means, attempt to explain how you can logically and rationally be in
opposition to this principle.

Bugs are bugs. Bugs are not meant to be introduced. For developers and end users it one not matter,
if the bug is in new code or not. Even if it seems to be in new code, how do you know? A bug
corrected here can affect something "on the other side" of the codebase, which was fixed around to
correct the wrong behavior. So, "CORRECT" might not always be the old state. It might be the new,
with some crazy side effects.
(Taking your example: I did not touch how to paste, how could I break it. [BTW: I thought I was too
dumb to write into the new input field])

By all of this, why should dev A introduced a regression yesterday be more responsible then dev B
which broke something 10 years ago? Both are basically the same, so why treat them different.

Regressions are always bad, but neither dev A nor dev B wanted to break this...

If you want the fix NOW (or backport, for which it is too late for 4.2 I guess) it might be wise to
get in touch with someone paid (better words then "you should invest into the fix" or hope someone
will do that for free :) [Backporting is boring and risky]

Did that help?