On 10/3/2014 12:35 PM, Florian Reisinger <florei@libreoffice.org> wrote:
Q: Why do not get bugs fixed at the moment they are reported?
A: Before devs see the bug, it goes through the hands of QA. We are
a small team and have a lot of backlog on reported bugs. (More bugs are
reported than we are able to tackle)

All well and good, but has nothing to do with what started the flamefest.

1. It took a few days in the bug to get it confirmed.

2. 3 *months* later, Joel asked a question making it very plain he did
not bother to even read the bug report and subsequent comments

3. 1 month later, Jan-Marek posted a patch (thanks Jan-Marek!)

4. 1 month later the bug reporter asked (reasonably politely) if the fix
would be back-ported to 4.3.

5. The same day Joel responded with a rude "Feel free to submit a
patch...' and more like it.

So, it was confirmed very quickly. At that point, the dev who cause it
should have been contacted to fix it, and that same dev should have
taken ono the responsibility of pushing the fix to at least 4.3, if not
also 4.2 (had it been fixed soon after being confirmed, it would have
made more sense to push it to 4.2).

Q: Why the hack did you tell someone to get some money in its hand to get it fixed?
A: I hear such voices very often and got the same answer: Either
help (so that others does not have to wait so long) or pay. Or continue
hoping, that a dev will tackle your pet bug in its free time

And yet again this comment totally ignores the fact that we are talking
about newly contributed code (not some old/pre-existing/legacy bug), and
that software developers should take ownership of their code.

Q: I have a problem XYZ for months but I did not want to report a bug....