On 06/03/2012 12:11 PM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
Hi all,

@Christoph:
Well, that was the case some versions ago - then the current behavior
(save icon is always active) has been introduced. Reason: There has been
customer feedback targeted at the Sun OOo UX Team that people wish to
press that button at any time - just to be sure that the document is
really saved. So here its not about real logic, but about people to feel
"safe".

If that was the case, then it would have been a better idea to focus
on the following things:
* get document backup/restoration reliable enough for everyone
(something like backup-as-you-type maybe)

So, I agree with the idea itself. But for this to work comfortably the save operation must be fast enough (since backup just means saving the current document somewhere on disk), and that's the hard part. Actually calling this "hard" itself is a massive understatement, but I won't go into the details.

Having said that, making the load/save operation faster is always our priority. It just takes a long time to achieve it (i.e. in units of years).

* make sure, Ooo doesn't crash (and if it crashes, that it doesn't
take all opened documents with it – for instance, similar to how
Chrome separates tabs)

So, the technical description of this is to "put each application in a separate process", which Chrome does. This is one of the things I've been very much interested in personally, but comes with a steep technical hurdle as well.

That said, someday I'd like us to give this a try, perhaps when all this effort to clean up the code base etc. settles down a bit. This would also solve many others issues that we currently have in our code base, not just the issue of crashes. So, to me, this is a goal worth chasing.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc