*sigh*  I guess the mis-use is very much prevalent.

I was not aware that the Status Bar communicated save-status.

I suspect the majority of LO users are also not aware of this. It is easy to see why users have
adopted a "mis-use" of the Save Icon, assuming it is a mis-use. Users have an icon they click to
save a document. It is a fairly well sized icon. Whey they go to click the icon and it is grayed
out, no save is possible. No save possible = nothing is in need of saving. Hence the icon becomes a
"communicator" as well as a "saver." Whether a correct judgment or not, it is a common induction
people are making.

But you say it is not reliable to rely on the save icon to show modification status? That the
status bar is a more accurate indicator of this?