Hi Joey, all,

sorry, but I might misinterpret your mail, because I don't remember whom
you are citing (and you don't mention the author):

Johannes Bausch wrote:
Hey all,

I really think your slight changes on the typeface improve the logo a lot
(this has probably been written by somebody else?)

Thanks, that's really good to hear.

(aside from the question if it is already too late to change it now).

Yeah... is it? I don't know.

In my eyes it depends on the visibility of the changes.

Kerning can be improved nearly without any negative effect, but the
"ffi" ligature in your proposal changes (at least in my perception) the visual
impression of the entire logo.

While the other characters are straight and typical for a sans serif font, the
"fi" ligature with the larger dot extending the "f" looks more like a serif font.

Looking at some sans fonts for the letter "" (U+FB01), most of them lengthen
the cross from the "f" to the "i", but keep the dot distinct.

(The nearest example on the computer here at work is "Trebuchet MS", a sans
font with round "i" dots).

We should definitively create a ligature for the "ffi", but I think that there might be
an even better solution than your present example.

But for me as a ligature enthusiast the use of a ligature in the logo would
create the impression that LibO is finally capable of handling ligatures of
open type fonts - but unfortunately it is not...

Well, but on purpose having a logo without ligature only because the
software itself doesn't support it (yet) seems weird to me.

+1
[...]

As all people take their resources off the wiki, would it be ok if I created
all the other versions (coloured, contemporary, b/w, grayscale, inverted +
different resolution pngs + eps + wmf + svg) and upload them to the wiki?

You might do so (add it to the logo proposal page), but I really would like to
see another draft (with distinct "f" bow and "i" dot ?), so perhaps it would
spare some time, if you did it later.

I would like to give myself a try, but don't know when ...
(Time is the only reason why I didn't reply to your previous mail earlier).

Do you (or anybody else) want to try another approach to the ligature?

I don't know how long this will take: If it's only a few days, I'd like to have
the kerning and ligature included in all our logo files - if it will take longer,
we could think of integrating the better kerning and add the ligature later on.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: It seems that my latest mails to this list sound a bit negative - they aren't
meant at all as criticism!
I fully support your approach to improve the logo by balancing the character
distances and the general visual impression. I hope you take my comments
as positive and constructive contribution to an important task!