Le 26/08/11 19:14, Twayne a écrit :

Hi Twayne,

But MS fixes their bugs and will continue to do so until 2014 in my case. I
am trying to get them to think about the problem that lost them a lof of
people in OOo, most of which are still in LO, and if you read over to
Alexander's post to me, there seems to be no plans to pick up the bugs and
fix them. They're dangerously close to repeating OOo's mistakes. LO is
better IMO but what it does not do is what it says it'll do.

Oh bugs do get fixed, just not necessarily the ones that any given
(sub)set of users might want fixing. An example : Base bugs - of the
more than one hundred Base bugs declared on bugzilla since the inception
of LibreOffice, only a very few have actually been fixed. The reasons
for this are multiple, but nonetheless the reality is there.

As for the longstanding OOo bugs, well like I said, a developer might
decide to try and fix one or the other because he/she has encountered
its annoying behaviour and is so hacked off about it that he/she decides
to try and sort it out.

According to Alexander, no, that's not so. Again, see his post to me. Devs
only want to write new code, not fix code, apparently not even their own.

Yes and no. It is more motivating to develop one's own code/features,
than to fix other people's bugs, especially ones where the origins of
the bug's birth may be obscur or go back to a time where programming
decisions or decision rationale was poorly documented. As for fixing
their own bugs, usually I would say that most of the devs on this
project actually take pride in doing so. However, the bugs you seemed to
be referring to as I understood it are ones that occurred during
Sun/Oracle OOo stewardship. Who is to know whence those bugs came, Sun
kept a very tight lid on outside submissions, refusing quite a few from
other contributing bodies, going so far as to even write replacement
code for that previously submitted by others to be in line with its
stewardship policy of the moment.

When a final release is targeted to go public, a list of stopper bugs is
drawn up in the hope that some will be easy to fix and thereby cleared
up rapidly. This is often the case with bugs introduced during
development since the inception of LibreOffice. However, where some of
the bugs are very old, the investment needed to correct them is often
perceived as greater than the benefit to be obtained, in fact greater
even than rewriting the whole corresponding code module. As such large
rewrites are more future oriented than bug catch-up, it is normal then
for such bugs to be placed on standby, pending further new development.
I might not like that any more than you (especially with respect to Base
in my particular case), but I can understand it from both a human
motivation and ressource allocation point of view.

Alex