On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 06:42 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:

Question:  Which version of LibreOffice are you using? 3.3.3, 3.3.4,
3.4.1, 3.4.2?  Many issues/bugs have been fixed in the 3.4.x line that
has not yet been fixed in the 3.3.x line.  3.4.x reads MS formats
better, is one of the fixes in that line.

I kissed MSO completely on Feb. 2010 when I choose Ubuntu as my OS on my
new desktop.  Then when LibreOffice came out I kissed OpenOffice.org
goodbye.

I had been using MSO since Office 95 or 97, with the last one Office 2003.

As for releasing software with "bugs", this is normal, even with MS
products.  Many bugs are found in real world testing that happens on
some systems, but not others.  When these bugs are reported, they are
placed on some type of "bug needing to be fixed list".  Then it is up to
the individuals who do the programming/developing [all volunteers] to
choose which bug they have the skills to fix.  I was a mainframe
programmer.  I was really good.  I am not skilled in the programming
needed for developing/fixing code for LibreOffice.

We all hope that the next release has the bug fixed that causes problems
for some groups of users.  Each release does its best to have as many
issues fixed as it can with the fixed release schedule.  With a fixed
release schedule, it give the developers/helpers/bug-fixers a time line
to do the work.  Some bugs takes a long time to find the code that is
the problem.  I was once told that the code base for LibreOffice [and
OpenOffice.org] is 100's of thousands of lines of code.  Some are no
longer used, while some are in need of "cleaning up".  The LibreOffice
developers took OpenOffice.org's open source code base and dedicated
themselves to cleaning up all the messy and bad coding that was in the
OOo code base.  They did a lot of that and made improvements and more
functions/abilities in their 3.3.0 release and came out with it before
Oracle's people came out with OOo's 3.3.0 package.  Plus, the tech-media
stated that LibreOffice was a better product from the volunteers for The
Documents Foundation/ LibreOffice than was put out by the paid employees
[and some volunteers] at Oracle.

To be honest, I was told that many of the bugs that are annoying
LibreOffice users can be traced back to the original messed up core
coding and the fixes placed on top of that coding to make it work,
instead of fixing that core code that is not working correctly.  That is
some of the hardest work for our volunteeers, to trace and fix the core
coding that should have been fixed long time ago when it was developed
during the time Sun Microsystems "owned" the OpenOffice brand.

Our developers are all volunteers and they are doing the best that they
can.  If Sun, and then Oracle, paid employees working 8 hours a day 5
days a week was working on developing/fixing/improving the
OpenOffice.org product and did not do as good of a job putting out the
3.3.0 version of OOo as was put out with the all volunteer package of
LibreOffice, we have to give our people a hand for all that they did to
make LO better than OOo.  Our volunteers are doing the best job as
possible for volunteers and their limited amount of time after they come
home from their paid jobs.  They deserve out thanks for their dedication
to making LibreOffice the best they can make it with the limits to their
time to do the work.

Sorry for the band standing, but our volunteers are doing everything
they are able to do to make LibreOffice the best free MSO alternative
office package.

Well said, the vast majority of people working on any aspect of LO are
volunteers doing the best they can with the time available.