On 08/27/2011 06:48 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

However, where some of
the bugs are very old, the investment needed to correct them is often
perceived as greater than the benefit to be obtained, in fact greater
even than rewriting the whole corresponding code module. As such large
rewrites are more future oriented than bug catch-up, it is normal then
for such bugs to be placed on standby, pending further new development.
I might not like that any more than you (especially with respect to Base
in my particular case), but I can understand it from both a human
motivation and ressource allocation point of view.

If Ford did to automobiles what you suggest is proper conduct for
software development, Ford would be out of business.

If during the normal course of using a product (Ford car), the brake
pedal would periodically fall off for no apparent reason, consumers
would be outraged, Ford would put a team on it and it would get
corrected. I'm certain of it.

I and many other people use OO/LO and periodically get file corruption
rendering the document useless. I'd say that's roughly the equivalent of
the brakes falling off a car. I've reported this for years and
corruption issues persist with identical symptoms from one release to
the next, from OO to LO.

I can understand your position for nuisance items, but file corruption
is the software having a brain aneurysm. It needs emergency attention
right NOW.

I'm a professional software developer (mainframes & PC's) and I've
managed software teams to produce products sold for hundreds of
thousands of dollars per copy. The market incentive to produce a
reliable product is what is missing in open source. No ones butt is on
the line - no accountability.

As the old saying goes, "Lead, follow or get out of the way." LO has
positioned itself as an alternative office suite. It has an obligation
to produce a reliable product. Period. If that can't be achieved year
after year, then the management of that project, or lack of it is at fault.

Stop writing code. Get the project organized, possibly even create a
branch for profit, and get on with it or get out of the way.

--
Bill Gradwohl
Roatan, Honduras