On 05/10/2013 10:44 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 10/05/13 09:52 AM, Tom Davies a écrit :
Hi :)
I was just saying that if you try to sell a used car then pointing at the flat tyres and saying the wheels are great is not likely to result in a good sale.

Selling Base for what it is good for shows people how much more advanced and powerful LibreOffice is.

Trying to sell Base for what Access is good for (and the 1 thing that Base is bad at) is a bit dismal. It underplays our hand. Why compete with MS when we can change the conversation and by doing so be sooo far ahead.

Tom,

first off, Base is being worked on by at least one dev. Unfortunately, it is not an attractive code that invites people to work on. So, one of our jobs as marketers is try to attract more competent devs to help out with the Base code ... this will be done in our "Developer brochure" ... we can at least help the dev group in trying to secure devs for the Base module.

Second, we need to stop thinking of LibreOffice competing with MSO. As far as we are concerned, we are now the leading, driving, and bleeding edge of the office suite development. MSO can now try to follow in our footsteps and try to compete with us. We should not be looking at ourselves as anything but this. And, no, I am not talking from the point of view of Base, but from the point of view of the whole LibreOffice project.

There has been at least one article about MS wanting to do a release cycle like LO does, every few months for the next version of their different software lines. I think people are getting tired waiting 1 or 2 years for the next update to MSO and their other products.

Well, LO [and FOSS] has made that "every few months" release plan work.

As I was told, for the USA, MS is too ingrained in our "lives" to ever be replaced. Well That mindset has been changed in Europe. Hopefully it will be in the US.

SO, no we are not competing against MSO, per say, but we have a free product that will never cost them to buy/rent/etc. We have the premier office suite in the open source community, for those who have decided that looking towards open source might be a good idea over the proprietary options. The US government is moving towards open source, so one day they will be looking at an open source office package.

WE have a product that works on Windows, Mac and Linux. There is a movement towards an Android version.

No we are not competing with MSO, we have by passed them and went on to be the cutting edge office package that introduces new and improved option every few months, not every few years.

Certainly MSO is out there, but we need more of a "forward looking philosophy" rather than a "looking over our shoulder" or "competing with ..." philosophy.

So, as Tim has pointed out, this is not the place to debate the virtues of the Base code. I see on the users' list that some people use Base as it is, and, not as a front-end to any other sql-database. When they have problems, bugs, we, as LibreOffice members need to direct them to the Bugzilla reporting and in time Base will improve. But for now, from what I can see, some are using Base with success and not complaining about it.

So, as you can read from the text in the brochure, the Base section does not mention any "competing with Access" and I would suggest that we NOT say that it competes with Access in any of our brochures.

We need to work on this to have some better text better alluding to MSO formats without saying so.

"For moreextended interoperability,LibreOffice supports document formats of many other softwaresuites, from the most current to numerous legacy formats."

Maybe "most current, and popular, to numerous legacy formats" would work.

I do not want to state MSO file formats, but we do support them to various degrees. Support for MSO 2013 version of OOXML is not all there YET, but it will get better over the next few months. Since '07 and '10 does not completely support '13 OOXML, we do not need to talk about that either in this brochure.