From a trainer and migration consultant perspective, I see the mess and
grief and productivity loss, along with interoperability issues caused
by direct formatting.

​I see your point, but there are other types of users for LO. And
sabotaging their way of working in benefit of others isn't the best way to
accomplish it.

Making the access to direct formatting more difficult would just draw
people away from LO to closed source office suites.

So the challenge - where the issues are about - is to make working with
Styles more natural, visible. If that comes with the price of a _little_
worse availability of direct formatting functions, I think that would be
worth it. But maybe that isn't even needed, looking at the great focus
of UX to make the best of LibreOffice
​.

​Well, I think that making working with Styles more natural and visible
isn't mutually exclusive with having great availability of direct
formatting options.
The Sidebar offers great potential to make working with Styles a lot more
intuitive than what it is now in its own section separated from direct
formatting. But I think that the Styles Sidebar pane needs serious rework
as most of the UI needed. ​
​The work done in 4.3 and 4.4 and in the future in 5.0 was enormous and of
great quality but if someone wants to make the use of Styles simpler then
it would be better to focus on making it better. That depends on the
contributors and there's still plenty of work to be done in so many areas.​

​

Regards,
Cor

--