Hi all,

Some comments on the details provided on the issue, don't take them as
criticism but as a long time trainer, here is my feedback with my user
experience on background.

Also, please before making changes to a functionality make sure that you
have the whole knowledge of what it does. I don't want to put all the
comments I have on the issue, so on this special one, Jay a menu entry
is not like a tool bar that you just remove.
Also when you train people on software, the first thing you tell them is
to be curious and to visit the menus if they search for something. I'm
not sure why LibreOffice should be different from others here and make
the learning curve of the functionalities more difficult.
As to rely on OOo stats that were made years ago, I'm not sure it's a
good incent, the software and habits have change a lot since.

File
* perhaps Wizard and Templates without separator as part of the section
above
* Reload and Version downto Properties (places Export closer to Save);
all four items could be moved into a submenu 'Advanced'
--> that would make those usual actions really hidden, and why Advanced?

* Isn't „Save a copy“ similar to „Save as...“?
--> saving with another name when you've made modification is not the
same as to save a copy of the current document

Edit
* Select All always on top of the section (→ writer toolbar)
* Is 'Merge Documents…' really that important to have it on the first level?
--> yes as it's a different feature

* 'Exchange database' doesn't it belongs to bibliography?
--> no please, do not hide this function that is used a lot doing mail merge
* 'Plug in' rather 'Allow to edit plugins' is a toogle item but with the
icon the state is not clear; I'd remove the icon here and make it a
check menu item (cf. View menu); it could be placed next to the edit
mode item
--> this one is rather long in l10n point of view
* Object is disabled but as a container of subitems it shouldn't
--> long term bug
* ImageMap – no idea about the function and camel case; wiki „Allows you
to attach URLs to specific areas, called hotspots, on a graphic or a
group of graphics.„ So why not have a submenu links that contains of
'Hyperlink' (the current Link) plus 'Arealink' (the ImageMap stuff)
--> it's not only hyperlink but opens the ImagMap editor where you draw
areas, hotspots etc.
* (Insert) Hyperlink and Edit > Link use the same dialog – we could also
remove it here
--> the Edit > link dialog doesn't use the same dialog as Insert, it
allow you to remove links or update them manually, automatically for
several different objects.

View

* Table boundaries has a duplicate at Table; remove it here
+1

Insert (Writer)

* Section… - never heard about ;-) - and the envelope are something like
a textbox
--> this one is very common on text formatting, should be at the top
* All together I'm a little bit lost here since naming/classification
the sections is not easy; this menu is too large
Insert (Calc)
--> several are too long, need to scroll to display all the items

Format
* Looks like a heavy multipurpose menu (I'm looking onto the screenshots
only) – no idea what's below Text - but is there a difference between
Number Format and Lists?

--> there is absolutely no need of them in the menu, plus we don't want
users to use direct formatting but rely on styles instead
* I wonder if users do Insert object and Edit or Format it later; As a
working hypothesis, Edit seems to be somehow related to
operations/functions and Format to the content → double check content
--> this is two different actions
* Anchor is an important function that could be supported by an icon
just like for Alignment
+1

Table (Writer)
* Single Table Properties could be moved up to the first section;
otherwise it's kind of a pattern (or could become that) to have access
to the generic property dialog at the menu footer (cf. Edit)
--> that's sad, document properties for example are often accessed when
writing long documents

Will try to find the time to go through more of them.
Cheers
Sophie

GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi