Hi Mattias

Many thanks for your comment,

Le 02/05/13 03:03 AM, Mattias Põldaru a écrit :

I took a look at these files. Please don't take it as much of a
criticism but friendly notes on how to improve it.

Here are my remarks:

The logo on top green bar is vertically aligned to nothing. It would be
pleasing on the eye if at least the paper icon looked vertically
centered. And if possible, center text vertically as well (as done in
previous versions).

If you are talking about the logo itself, we do not have any choice. We must follow the design for "logo external use" as outlined on our wiki design page[1]. The logo is centered on each panel, if it is not, then, yes, it should be centered.

As for goodlooking professional texts these usually have slightly
smaller text with greater line spacing. IMHO 10,5 pt with 120% line
spacing and 0.14 cm spacing below the paragraph looks fine. Although I
don't think I would ever use Liberation fonts myself.

We are trying to use fonts that are easily accessible to our members. The brochure is for external community use and the Liberation font is only a design suggestion. This is not the case with the official brochure where the font is specific and should be used.

Right now we have 3 different greens on the page (front page logo, front
page text and border). We should reduce it to one (or two, if one has to
be pale).

As for the white first page, saving ink is a good reason. But right now
it looks kind of dull. Maybe if we would add a colorful image with all
the icons flying out of LibreOffice box or something slightly fancy. Or
use even more white (see linked file).

Not sure if adding more objects on the brochure would make it "print friendly". During our tests, we found that keeping to the LibreOffice design colors (greens) gave the best result as far as balancing the look and being easy on ink. These brochures will be printed on home printers for community, LUG, or small print runs.

The panel positions on A4 doesn't exactly match, the positions from left
should be 0,6 (was 0,51), 10,5 and 20,4 cm (was 20,48). And since you
use panels the page text column gutter is not set, otherwise it should
be double the border, 0,51 * 2 = 1,02 cm. Or was it to match up for the
space lost when folding?
(29,7−8,71⋅3)/6   = 0,595
(29,7−8,71⋅3)/6⋅3+8,71   = 10,495
(29,7−8,71⋅3)/6⋅5+8,71⋅2   = 20,395

We could play with the margin settings to make them better, sure, but in the end, the folding of the brochure needed enough space to allow for , as you say, space lost when folding. These will most likely be folded by hand.

Feel free to modify the margins if this will make it easier to fold. We have to be careful as not to leave so little margin space that the folding will get harder to do. Again, these are community brochures.

Since you use panels you could delete the bottom bar images and color
the panel bottom border, which would make the problem of hiding images
go away.

I think I tried that, do you mean making the page itself green and the frame would then sit on the top? Maybe you could make a sample brochure of all these changes and show us?

If you would like to do this, could you show us a sample before uploading it to the wiki brochure space? The design on the wiki page has already gone through a lot of discussion. Still, feel free to show us a modified brochure.

Thanks for the comments and the help.

Marc

--
Marc Paré