On 05/05/2013 06:35 AM, Mattias Põldaru wrote:
05.05.2013 12:39, Marc Paré kirjutas:
* panel 3 -- front page: I am not sure I like this design. From a marketing point of view, IMO, the white at the top of the panel, gives the impression that someone forgot to add some text, I don't think we are too concerned with the panel 3 focusing on the OS's as this is what we actually want to do ... we want people who have picked up our brochure to realize that we are on these 3 OS's (and eventually Android and possibly more).
Sounds reasonable. You got -1 for this proposal from me as well :)

* frames ... great! I love the fact that the green bar is now tied in with the frame. This will cause fewer problems with community teams.

* LibreOffice white logo in the green bar, yes, great the spacing is equal. Thanks!
Did I make an "ooops" and not get the spacing correct for the icon in the green block?

* I printed up a sample of the included text in your example that you set at 120%. I am not sure that I agree with this spacing. It makes the brochure look unconventional and too metric. IMO, if we are to "tweak" anything, we should try to tweak the size of the font to make it more readable. We have gone through this exercise before with sample text and IMO this should be left to the decision of the marketing team who will be creating the text and basing it on their own impression of readability and how it fits into the brochure -- IMO, the spacing is more of a marketing decision and less of design decision. The marketing team will be creating content for about 15 types of brochure and they will all have different content, but use the same community template design.
I have no objections on using single line spacing. BTW, you forgot from the list that greater linespacing eats up a lot of space and we loose some valuable room for text.

I have tested the font and line spacing with an older version of this brochure design style. I have tried adding and removing line spacing. I have tried "normal" and "narrow/condensed" fonts. To get the most out of the panel's "space", I think a narrow or condensed font would look good. Yet, it will depend on the font[s] used. Also, whatever font you use, it would be better if you use a freely downloadable font that anyone could have access to. For me, when I get a good brochure with the content filled in, I would want it to be placed online for any other marketing person/group to take it and modify it to their needs. If people choose fonts that are not free or hard to find, then it may be a big issue for some people. I have the full Adobe font library from 2000[?]. I know most home/office users would not have access to those fonts, so I would never use them for this type of project.

** Don't forget, this thread is all about creating a community template without any text.
Never forgot it. Just without text we cannot actually see what we are talking about.

I alway test out the design[s] with sample content. That way I can see if the whole design works together. But, yes, we need to get the brochure template done so people can start working on the editing of the content. Then we would have a brochure that we could use for our next "scheduled" presentation [for me that is coming up fast].

I hope to be around to chime in on next designs as well.

Regards
Mattias