Hillar

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 22:51 +0300, Hillar Liiv wrote:

Hi,

Some mockups:
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/design/msg01239.html

MS Office 2008:
http://img.skitch.com/20071014-b85qcwy28rw32d69qjpy8yhtyx.jpg

Ans so on...

And people if you are bashing ribbon then please tell us how much experience
you have with it (saw pictures, used it, used it one month and ...).

Hillar

2011/5/24 jlopez777 <jlopez777@gmail.com>

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Zaphod Feeblejocks <zaphodfj@gmail.com
wrote:

On 23 May 2011 at 9:57, Christopher Stark wrote:

Hi,

as I mentioned earlier, the main argument against ribbons is that in M$
Office the user has to click on ribbons/tabs all the time and never
knows if the required functions hide behind "Review", "Insert" or
"Design"...

My annoyance with ribbons is:
- In MSO 2003 / LibO, I can easily see the things I expect to be in the
top
toolbar - font information and so on.
If I perform certain other functions (e.g. tables), another floating
toolbar appears.

- In MSO 2007/10, going into tables causes a big menu all about tables to
obscure the things I want to see on
the menu, with a lot of options I am not one bit interested in.  Also,
the
buttons are SO inconsistent - different
sizes, some have text and some do not, etc.

In fact, the Ribbon reminds me of 'modern art'.  It's a piece of junk and
if anyone else designed it,
commentators would call it junk.  But because Microsoft say it is 'good',
lots of people who should know better
agree with them.

The MSO ribbon is crap.  While I love Open Source and LibO, I would
either
stay on LibO 3.3 forever, or go to
WordPerfect if LibO mimicked that horrible interface.

All this makes working with the current solution in my opinion much
more
efficient than with ribbons

Absolutely.  If I wanted stupid ribbons cluttering the place, I would be
using MSO.  I'm not using it because the
interface stinks.  OTOH, if someone developed an implementation of
ribbons
that was so good, and showed
that the idea is fine and that MS have simply done a bad job of
developing
it, that would be another matter.

In another email, Sveinn í Felli suggests an optional vertical toolbar -
possibly a far more sensible option,
especially as so many people have wide screens nowadays.

What would be the best way to look into this? Getting some mock ups?  Even
if it becomes an "extension" of some sort not default. I would really like
to explore this idea. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

ZF.
--
Zaphod

Joed Lopez

I have to use MS Office at work with ribbons, about 1 1/2 years. I think
they are attempt at making more options readily accessible to more
users. The problem is not all the options are accessible using the
default ribbon, you have to customize the top menu bar. If there is a
way to combine the idea behind the ribbon, eacy access for most options
and make other options available "on demand" we will probably have a
winner.

My other specific criticism is the some of the ribbon combinations seem
awkward to me, they do not seem to fit together. I have noticed this in
Excel mostly but some in Word. I am one to try a new ideas for the
interface and try have specific observations than complain about it
because it is different.
--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com