Hi *,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Michael Wheatland
<michael@wheatland.com.au> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Sophie Gautier
<gautier.sophie@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
We will never force anyone to do anything. In my mind, once the Drupal
development is complete and implemented then people will want to move
tools.

Then they can make their decision on a basis where Drupal is
functional. Whether they then like it or not cannot be anticipated
yet.

As I understand it, this is why the SC asked the website team to develop Drupal.

No SC never asked the website team to devlop Drupal. There were many
Drupal fans/supporters that strongly voiced their opinion to choose
drupal as CMS.
But they just couldn't manage to setup a demo that met the basic requirements.

That is why SC did choose Silverstripe, with the option to reconsider
moving to Drupal early spring next year. By then, the drupal site
should shine, the drupal supporters will be happy with it and they are
sure it will convince people to switch.

But in the end it depends on the user-interface of the drupal site
whether the people who work with it will ask for the switch or "beg"
the SC to stick with silverstripe.
I didn't look at the current state of affairs wrt drupal, and probably
will not have time for evaluation this year anyway, so I cannot give
feedback yet.

[...]
It should be made clear to those contributing where the project is
going, this ensures that the work and project are aligned. Second
guessing SC decisions is not good for community morale and discourages
contribution.

Sophie is part of the SC, so it can hardly be "second guessing" the
decisions. And she also explained herself pretty clearly: She (as part
of the SC) will not tell people to use <whatever> if the people won't
like it.
So I don't understand the fuzz about it.

Again I state: What I saw of drupal in October did put me off, I'd
never want to use drupal in a state like this. That's where SC
decision comes in: It gives drupal folks a very, very fair chance to
present themselves, gives them enough time to work without
pressure/need to hurry on a cool site that will convince users not
becuase it is "drupal", the great tool that can do everything when you
configure it properly, but because it actually *does* that stuff.

IMHO, The Drupal website development has been a great example of the
community creating the tool they want.

"they" in this case is mainly drupal-supporters, not the whole
community, and especially not the people who will maintain the
content. Those people will only get a chance to make their decision
when the drupal-team announces their page as "we think everything is
ready, go check it out and provide feedback"

And yes, you got input from various groups that in part already use
drupal for their work and stuff, but still this is hardly "the
community".

ciao
Christian