hi Christoph, all,

thank you for this mail, it allows me a short(er) reply ;-)

Christoph Noack schrieb:
[...]

So my plea is - please be patient with us all to finally deliver
LibreOffice 3.3, let us take some deep breath (some of us are working
since months without any significant pause), and pick up the discussions
on the "next gen infrastructure".

+1

In the meantime ...

Please consider to work together to make the Silverstripe based page a
success, and thus, make LibreOffice a success. The more we learn within
these next weeks and months, the better we will know why and how Drupal
may be a better match for us.

+1 (or even more)

Discussion on general orientation and decisions in our community are important, but take some time for reading and writing.

I don't think we have this time *now*, because everything discussed here has just very limited influence on the two most important activities in our community for the next few weeks:

1. Create a website that can be active as soon as possible.

This website is the SilverStripe website (clear decision by the SC), that needs content (now!) as well as design (at least to the LibO 3.3 release) showing the world, that we are an active community able to provide professional software and present it in a professional way.

2. Prepare the LibO 3.3 release to make it a success in all the necessary fields: coding, presentation on the website and in public, documentation, translation / localization and so on.

This task has to be handled by nearly every team in our community.

Website needs work as mentioned above, design has to prepare the application / mimetype icons, provide marketing material and promotional design following our initial branding, marketing has to develop strategies to make this release a loud "bang" not only for the FOSS world, but for the general public too (please let me exaggerate a bit, you probably understand what I mean). I don't have to talk about coding, documentation and localization (including websites and local marketing activities) - there has already been done a tremendous work, but I'm quite sure that everybody will work hard until the last second, in order to make this release the best release we (including the "old" OOo community") ever had.

There is a third task - mainly to be handled by the Steering Committee members: To install the legal foundation. Even if this is not visible here on the lists, I', quite sure that they spend more time as we imagine in this area.

We are all volunteers, so no-one can force anybody to do something she or he doesn't like.

I just beg you: Please let us all work on these tasks.

The design team already put the discussion about our final "Community Branding" back until the LibO 3.3. release is over.

We postponed the discussion on the goals of our community too, as even this topic is too complex for the present time and will have no influence on the product to be released now. (And I think we know quite well where we want to go).

Please let's do something similar for the discussion on Drupal and when it should be able to replace SilverStripe. There is no need at all to discuss the wording and intention of the SC. We will see in a few months if the Drupal site will fit our needs better than the existing SilverStripe one. I'm quite sure it will, but this has not to be in January, not even in March. This switch doesn't have any time pressure - and I don't want us to create it. When the site is better for us we'll switch, and if not: I'm quite sure that the Drupal team will improve it until it fits.

As I said above: I can't and I don't want to force you. But please consider to spend your precious spare time in one of the task with much less time.

Every day without a working LibO website causes interested people to turn away from our product and our community.

Every day with a less professional website causes people to think (and spread this thought) that our product might be in the same state as our website.

And of course we need to provide the final release of our high quality product and promote it sufficiently as soon as possible.

Best regards

Bernhard