On 11/19/2012 09:52 AM, VA wrote:
Jay wrote:

"ODF formats are the international standard so technically MS is not
being standards compliant. This may be very useful if someone where to
sue MS for monopolistic practices."

I think there's a difference between "standards" as declared by computer developers and societies and "standards" determined by the marketplace. In the business marketplace, DOC and DOCX are the standard as they are what the vast number of business users use.

And, in the market place, standards can change. Twenty years ago, the standard for word processors was WordPerfect (WPD). Over time that changed to Word, but even then, in the legal profession, WordPerfect held on a little longer. Now, WordPerfect is a footnote.

MS may not be "standards compliant" but as long as they are the biggest game in town, what they do IS the standard.

Virgil

I think the issue becomes there is a recognized international standard. In a lawsuit the issue becomes why does one not fully support the international standard or if you refuse why do not fully publish your standard. In the 80's I do not remember an international standard for anything other that text documents so everyone made their own.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com