In practical use, I would NOT say LO (or OOo) has a "high" file compatibility with MS Office. Virtually every file I receive from MS Office users has some kind of problem (bullet lists almost NEVER convert correctly, at least from MSO to LO). I'm only an occasional Office suite user so I put up with it (plus I'm on a Mac), but I've never been able to convince others to use LO for this reason alone. And I mostly work with non-profits who, for several reasons, should be avid LO users.

I also realize MSO, with it's market share, stands only to gain from keeping it's formatting a moving target. With that in mind, I just can't imagine how a project like LO could hope to keep up and make inroads.

Wish I could help with making it work better, but I know nothing about contributing to development.

Carl