On 01-10-12 16:22, Pertti Rönnberg wrote:
Hello Joep,
Thank you for your reply.
I am happy to say I had the privilege to in business visit your very
beautiful and interesting country - and especially Amsterdam - some
times very, very many years ago.
I am also retired since ten years back and used to work on manager level
in some companies mostly in metal industry, planning and delivering plants.
But not IT, I am an IT consumer since early 1980 - so you surely know
that IT field from 'inside' better than me but I know quite well the
decision making in my former environments.

I have for years been very well aware of all what you say about MS's
behavior and marketing policy - I agree with you completely and do
dislike the situation as much as you.
In many (most) companies/organizations (other than IT) the managers have
quite little own knowledge in IT why they do not have many alternatives:
they have to buy the IT from outside (more or less) experts or build up
a IT-dept of their own. In both cases they have to rely on other
people's knowhow and recommendations.
And if all (95% ?) your important contacts, customers, officials,
private, etc. use Windows, and all of your own staff know (only)
Windows/MSO  then the economic calculation says that you must "talk the
same language" -- you can not afford anything else.

I strongly disagree with you about Jay's and Wolfgang' s behavior - take
a look at my parallel post "MS problems" some minutes earlier.
If these managers concentrate on their own jobs - and buy the IT - it
does not qualify them to be called "IT-illiteral morons" as Jay and
Wolfgang did.

In 30 years I have had no problems (!) with the Windows' programs (the
cost are a relative matter), but from January this year when installing
LibO I have had too much problems with Base (and Calc) - and according
to this list there are a lot of others having real problems with LibO too.
In my opinion there is only one way for LibO:   to become in every way
better than MSO especially for ordinary private users, user friendly,
stable, reliable, free of bugs and problems. These will then make it
easier for companies to convert to OpenSource/LibO.
Best regards
Pertti Rönnberg (Finland)
The End!

Well Pertti,
Endangering myself to go after your End(!) I have never used Microsoft products except when clients needed to have links with WIndows programs but I lived in luxury as we represented Silicon Graphics an the products we sold and supported either specific or Internet related. However I must confess that for administrative tasks we used Windows related applications (WordPerfect and some Borland related spreadsheets programs) as the unix workstations were used either for graphics or network-related tasks. But I remember our technical people all grumbling about the lousy Windows as OS and they preferred to let some whizzkid we had as apprentice to solve Windows problems. Before I had my company (~ '75 - '90) I was head of a neuroscience department where we did real-time signal analysis on EEG-signals and all systems (Intel 286) used DOS as OS for the programs (mostly FORTRAN & PASCAL).Further signal analysis was done on a PDP-11's so we're talking about another era where PC's barely existed. There is a nice anecdote about the CEO of DEC who was presented with a "PC" (the DEC-1) in '79 and he refused to take it into production as he was convinced that nobody would buy such a toy! Little did he know.....
Joep