On 02/12/2012 05:25 PM, Jay Lozier wrote:
On 02/12/2012 06:09 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

We're not remote-sensing mind-readers.

James Knott has a very valid point, one which I myself have suffered
through over the decades: power user or newbie developer has skills
inadequate to the task, but doesn't know it, so asks "How do I
snagglethrob the doohickey?" when the correct question is, "What's the
best way to make *this* report run faster?" and so let the Expert
possibly come up with an idea that the power user never would have
thought of.

I think many of us, including myself, have a tendency to try fitting a
square peg in a round hole because we know the square peg tool and not
the round hole tool.

Sure. It's where the the phrase "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" comes from... :)

As a DBA, my first thought when presented with a problem is "use a database!!" I must control that impulse, balancing expertise with suitability for the job.

--
How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?