Am 06.02.2012 19:22, Dan Lewis wrote:
       I wonder how many people who use LO have read chapter 8 of the
Getting Started Gude, "Getting Started with Base"? I know that I have
very seldom seen a comment about its contents. (I wrote it and am
presently updating it. I'm also working on the Base Guide in its
entirety.)

Dan

Sorry, that guide is too light weight. The matter is as abstract as a programming language. It takes an IT guy with some theoretical concepts and experience. Most parts of the helping Base tools are useless. They can not do what they pretend to be made for. Most importantly, the form wizard can not build forms. Most of the possible types of forms have to be drawn by hand and you need to know very well what you are going to do when you build up your own hierarchy in the form navigator.

A little bit of click experience with MS Access is not enough to design a relational database connected to Base just like some experience with the VBA macro recorder and code completion does not qualify anybody to program anything outside that specific context.

The problem is that too many new developers try to learn having their hands on the problems they are trying to solve right now. This is very inefficient. In my opinion, the "mid level tutorial" by Mariano Casanova is the best guide to start learning about databases in general in the context of the Base component: http://openoffice.org/projects/documentation/downloads/directory/Base/Mid%20level%20Base%20tutorial. Most importantly, the term "macro" occurs only twice on 189 pages.