Am 06.02.2012 20:45, Dan Lewis wrote:
  You obviously have a very in dept knowledges of database and can do
many things with them that others can not do. But that does not mean
others have to have a detailed knowledge of databases before they can
create them. Not everyone has a need for a "fairly sophisticated
database" to meet their needs.

No, I'm an entirely self-tought amateur. I know that I know almost nothing about databases. All I know is 100% of the Base features (while ignoring the report builder extension). And yes, even a most simple database backend with one table requires knowledgable decisions on data types and that your single table surely describes the things to be stored. You've got to know what the software tool expects you to do before you get anything back. At this point complete non-techies run in circles looking for the right trigger point where the software does the right thing for them. This is like holding the hammer and the nail close to the wall without hammering. It is irrelevant how difficult it is to build up a database and its frontend tools. It's worth the effort if the result is easy enough for the next million records without further intervention.

But all this affects database design and Base input forms only. If you already have some relational database (or a csv file or a well formed spreadsheet list) then it is easy enough for anybody to connect a so called "Base document" with it, add some useful queries and reports in order to dump data into the layout and formatting capabilities of text and spreadsheet documents. The data flow from the source into the documents is the main capability of the database capability. However, even the concept of a connection through an abstraction layer is beyond what todays users are able to digest, particularly when a ".odb Base document" comes into play. Many users seem to believe that the program converts their spreadsheet (or what else) into a database file format and that they can not edit their data anymore. See recent thread "create mailmerge with spreadsheet librecalc without using libre base!". This misconception is very common and even some of the regular supporters on this list fail to put it straight.

"My users" never really have to struggle with that. When they complain about next serial letter's address pool, I dump and rearrange some data in a certain spreadsheet and add a query to the spreadsheet's connected database. The query collects the right columns and rows in a certain order of columns and rows with certain well known column labels from the improvised spreadsheet list. Then I call them back and tell them to pick up query "Invitation_03_April" from data source "Mixed Addresses". Meanwhile the letter has been written and two of "my users" are familiar with the data source window, the placeholder fields in a Writer template and they know how to print serial letters. But none of them can handle more than a screenful of spreadsheet without panic.