On 4/26/11 11:13 AM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
On 04/26/2011 10:08 AM, Ken Springer wrote:

I have a Windows machine, connected to the net via modem at 26.4, and
the opening page link works. I did not try the other two links.

modem at 26.4? Well that is really slow, and old?

The modem, not so old, it's a 56k data/fax modem. The phone line? A different story! LOL When I first moved here, I actually had a data only second phone line installed, that was a lot faster but I've forgotten the actual speed.

This speed number is using my voice line, and even if I go straight from the computer to the interface box, I only get 28.8.

I'm only doing the modem thing now because the satellite speed has been restricted. So the Mac is using the satellite, and I'm downloading big files on the Windows 'puter. Anyone who wants to call will just have to call back! LOL

I have a Mac machine, connected to the net via satellite, and the
opening page link does not work. The others do not either.

I have two leading suspicions as to why on the Mac. One, I'm not sure
Thunderbird (and Firefox) are working correctly for some reason, and I
exceeded my allowable data download limits for the Fair Access Policy
on the satellite, so my access speed on the satellite has been
"slowed" to modem speeds. :-)

I do not deal with satellite services. I had the choice of DSL or Cable
Modem for broadband access. I choose Cable Modem since I am getting TV,
Digital Phone, and Broadband access in one package. If I used DSL, I
would have had to deal with two companies vying for the services. The
DSL company offers Phone, DSL, and Satellite TV.

My upload speeds are about 2 to 3 times standard modem speeds, so
uploading/sending large files can be a long process. The DVDs take over
5 hours to upload [each] to the web site and every time a new version
comes out, I have to do at least 1.3 GB of uploading.

Cable and/or DSL is not available here. However, fiber optics were laid last fall to the paved road about 200-300 yards to my house. But, R.O.W for utilities distance means the fiber optics is about a half mile from my house. And I don't know if the phone wiring for everyone in the area will have to be replaced or not.

Skybeam, a ???????????? type company... I can't remember the technical name, but they use a combo of "satellite" and land line by beaming from your location to a tower, then land line... has coverage here, but I'm at the bottom of a hill and can't see their tower. Unless I build my own tower for my dish! LOL