On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Bernhard Dippold <
bernhard@familie-dippold.at> wrote:

Hi Jonathon, all,

jonathon schrieb:

 On 10/12/2010 07:39 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

 Trying to get some structure in, so any advice welcome.

ISO 639-3 language code, then .libreoffice.org:  These are used for
localization projects.

ISO 3166-2 country code, then .then libreoffice.org: These are used for
marketing projects.

I don't know much about ISO codes, so this question might be silly. But I'm
quite sure that most of our users and contributors don't know either.

So I don't think it to be appropriate to differ between marketing and
localization only by different ISO codes.

And probably there are similar codes for some areas: Assuming that DE is as
well language and country code, I would not know if discuss@de.libO is a
marketing or localization list.

Coming from the OOo project, I'd like to keep the discuss lists language
based (with language ISO code), while marketing lists should use the the
country code.

I am not sure it makes sense to split marketing efforts between countries.
Is much better to have separation between languages instead.

So I'd modify your examples to:

discuss@nz.libreoffice.org would discuss marketing in New Zealand.

marketing@nz.libreoffice.org

 discuss@mri.libreoffice.org would discuss Māori localization issues.

stays the same

discuss@glv.libreoffice.org would discuss Manx localization issues.

stays the same

 discuss@im.libreoffice.org would discuss marketing in the Isle of Manx.

marketing@im.libreoffice.org

This would lead to

marketing@us.libreoffice.org
for the US localized group, while general language dependent discussions
would be stay on discuss@libreoffice.org (perhaps we should think about
replacing it by discuss@en.libreoffice.org)

As I don't see much benefit from local marketing actions for the entire
North American continent, I'd rather stick with names easily understandable.
General marketing discussions should stay here of course.

Best regards

Bernhard

Best regards

Bernhard