Sorry for the delay here.

I was thinking about this and more importantly I was reading emails.

OpenOffice.org it seems to me was structured very much along language
lines and I would suppose that this will naturally happen here also.

These language demarcations where originally, I believe, focused on
translation efforts however it seems to me that they broadened out to
encompass many more functions. It helped that in many cases there was a
strong correlation between language and geography.

Some of the emails that stood out in my review:

- One by Goran Rakic and his remarks about the _Turkish_ community
deciding to join TDF.

- The exchange between Ian and Jean regarding Australia and New Zealand,
particularly Ian's comment about time zones and extending that _region_
to include the state of Hawaii. An idea that actually makes plenty of
sense IMO.

- Ben's email regarding the similarities between the US and Canada with
regards to the use of English. (not sure what we do with Quebec)

- Alexandro's reminding us of the large Hispanic population,
particularly in the south west region of the USA.

- The email from Florian regarding the de mailing lists and his desire
not to have too many mailing lists just yet, should not be overlooked.

You know what - I'm having a hard time coming to a real decision for
myself (as I can't decide for the group naturally) I can see reasons to
go both ways, regional and national.

I am leaning towards a USA list even with all the good points by Ben and
Marcus and Alexandro.

Bernhard however is correct in that this has implications for the
foundation overall - so can I toss out for others to comment on more.

Thanks

Drew

It sounds to me that the Steering Committee (SC) is concerned with the lack of US presence and that they would rather have a US presence onto itself for market penetration.

In my opinion, there should really be, at first an organizational tree where on this side of the Atlantic we are divided up as: n_amer (North American); c_amer (Central American); s_amer (South American) and once there is more autonomy where it is warranted the partners could sub-divide into their own country designated sections. There is no doubt that the US partner will play a dominant role just by the sheer size of population. However, in this model, this would allow for smaller partners a direct link to resources (sharing of marketing strategies; pooling of marketing materials either electronic or concrete; sharing of manpower -- people close to borders could drop in to help at event showcasing the LibO brand).

But, if we are to be divided up according to country designation as per SC wishes -- in this case especially the US, then no problem. We should make sure that sharing of resources where they are scarce, as in my case Canada, care be taken in providing support for the marketing of LibO brand. In this case a Canadian country list/Wiki or website should be established to coordinate events where the LibO brand could be represented. The same being done for those countries wishing to organise this way.

Marc