On 30/12/21 7:09 pm, James Harking wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's hypothetical for you, I don't have direct contact with our desktop
> team but I do have some sway in decision making.
>
> Let's say we are a company with around 1000 Windows desktops, we currently
> use Microsoft Office 365 and generally are happy with it, however license
> costs are relatively expensive and we have a concern over our data
> portability and so we are looking at alternatives. We would not migrate
> away from Windows as this would cause excessive work for little benefit.
>
> We use Outlook for mail, calendaring and contacts which are essential for
> us, we could for the most part substitute Word for Writer, Excel for Calc
> and Impress for Powerpoint. However we also use Teams internally for
> communication, meetings and document storage. Also One Note is used for
> quick individual note keeping. Microsoft Project is used by a small subset
> of colleagues.
>
> How would the marketing team advocate the migration should proceed if we
> decided to head in this way? What would be the suggestions for the missing
> applications such as Outlook, Teams and One Note and a means to integrate
> these together in a coherent method?
>
> I think this is a semi realistic scenario and the type of migrations that
> people would be considering, so how would the marketing team 'sell'
> LibreOffice in this context?

LibreOffice is free as in 'freedom'. Microsoft Office is nonfree software. And therefore, users do not control it. And most other aspects of Microsoft Office mistreating the users, like surveillance, are just a symptom of it being nonfree software. So, if you think controlling the software is important, then that is enough reason to switch.

In my opinion, we need to market the freedom part of LibreOffice. Features can be introduced by the users in many ways, like crowdfunding, government funding (see https://ravidwivedi.in/posts/scribus.html) if they control the software, i.e, if the software is free as in freedom.

--
Ravi Dwivedi
https://ravidwivedi.in/