On 31/12/21 3:22 am, James Harking wrote:

> A company will typically have many 'seats' that are purchased. They will be
> going to a single vendor that will provide the totality of their office
> solution. There is a wealth of documentation on Microsoft Office/ 365
> configuration. Support is typically easy to come by.
>
> The integration of their products work very well together, and ultimately
> there is inertia. If I intend to replace Microsoft I need to consider a
> number of products with different support cycles, security patching, so yes
> there is the freedom component that LibreOffice clearly has.

Does it boil down to company not sharing our concerns of freedom? If they don't think freedom is important, why will they switch to LibreOffice?

> However the pragmatist in me says that this is not a great concern for the
> majority of users, not all clearly.

Right. So, the next thing is to emphasize these concerns for these users and raise awareness. I admit it is difficult. And maybe nontechnical aspects are what we are lacking. I think technically, Libreoffice is very good. For a company who wants to use Libreoffice, they can spend some money on developing features they want rather than paying Microsoft a license fee. We are lacking in communication maybe more than technical aspect, I think.

How do we communicate clearly on why LibreOffice stands out(for me, it is freedom and interoperability)?

I think that the majority of these
> users download and install LibreOffice because it is free (gratis) and
> ultimately a good product and for the most part compatible with Word, > Excel
> and PowerPoint.

I agree. I am thinking on how to change this situation. I do get success in convincing some people every now and then.

I am thinking on going to schools and hanging posters of LibreOffice. What are some other ways?

--
Ravi Dwivedi
https://ravidwivedi.in/