it is well known that microsoft, beside producing sometimes  good products, is very good at
lobbying with universities, governments and so on.  what I don't like is that institutions force
people to use proprietary software and by licenses  (otherwise they don't accept dtat or files).
Fortunately I can always produce and use pdf files.  by the way compatibility with .doc or .docx is
already working well.

Going back fro Limux to Windows (in the case of Munich) was clearly a political decision, which
damaged economically Munich and Germany and made employees angery:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23407316
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/mayor-of-city-that-threw-out-microsoft-told-to-end-attacks-on-linux/

nobody saw technical reasons.

fortunately there is a new important project giving great hopes:

https://news.itsfoss.com/german-state-foss/

I know the problem with pcs.  you can find some freedos models on amazon /but not only) or nuy from
specialized enterprises (system76; KDE Slimbook;  laptopwithlinux.com, some lenovo or intel nuc
etc...).

so, while there is a rise in the open source approach, you are right that main problem is building
a strong extended network or community  (with some exceptions such as LibreOffice, Apache and so
on).

may be one action could be asking schools and universities and so on to allow people to use open
data, .odt and so o on for their job.

Paolo

On Monday, December 13, 2021, 03:11:48 PM GMT+1, Chris Whitworth <chriswhitworth26@googlemail.com>