My 4-pennyworth:
I have not used Microsoft for 20 years but the world does.  Almost no
academic publishers or conference organisers will accept .ODT etc.  So I
always have to test all my stuff out on malware!  And yes, I sometimes find
oddities in Microsoft documents which, I suspect are not safe (Chrome does
not like all these posts either- I have to retrieve some from spam).

My suggestion is that we try to build as large a community as we can,
whilst recognising that the majority will not join us.  It would help if we
could buy new PC's that were not already loaded with the Microxrap
operating system.  I went to at least 6 dealers here and could not persuade
any of them to sell me a blank system.  They all said that if I deleted W10
the warranty would be invalid.   The dirty tricks brigade are alive and
well!

Over 20 years ago, my University could not afford Windose 2000 and were
ready to convert all their PC;s to Linux.  Then a helicopter landed,
unannounced and a gang of smarmy suited Americans decided to gatecrash the
ViceChancellors office.  (It is on video somewhere).  Magically, the Uni
then got a very good deal....   I believe Munich had similar issues.