Le 2012-12-21 11:09, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :

So we agree on the diagnostic only in part, and disagree on the
remedy ;-) . You are much more optimistic than I am on the brand
recognition. For sure we had tremendous results but the brand
recognition is not where it should be. That's where we disagree on the
diagnostic. On the remedy, we disagree precisely on the fact that you
feel we would confuse the community and the product (did I get that
right?) with one logo, as we're changing our marketing strategy. I beg
to differ in that I'm saying the opposite: product and community are one
and the same. Another detail: we hadn't a marketing strategy before. We
had an emphasis on the product by default, because no one ever advocated
anything contrary to that, and even then we never did what it took to
push the product.

Best,

Hmm, not sure about the "... but the brand recognition is not where it should be ..." statement as we had not really talked about market penetration numbers that we had to reach. We did hold regular meetings from Oct 25th 2010 (from when I organized the wiki pages, there were some other confcalls before this but they were not well documented) up until July 4th 2011 (I was usually the secretary) and you'll find the notes on the wiki[1]. I was not available for approximately 6-7 months due to surgeries. These meetings were chaired by mostly Florian, Italo (and at the time, Drew). So, there was some strategy implemented, which came from the top-down. Members with experience had the lead.

As well, during this period and up-till-now, Italo has been the defacto marketing lead, where any serious decisions were/are taken by him. Unless anything has changed, Italo is still the marketing team lead.

So, the marketing team was at least quite busy, putting into action initiatives that were later taken on by other groups. You only need to tour the marketing team wiki pages to see the end-product (even if disorganized -- my plans were/are still to organize these pages). My most recent concerns, as you know, was the lack of design-member help for marketing initiatives which go by the wayside if there is no such help. At one point, the marketing team was quite organized and had an agreed production process with the design team which worked quite well[2][3] (which led to the creation of the Visual Elements Resources wiki page for the Marketing and Design Teams[3]). But, for some reason, UX has taken over and there is now little time left for anything else. The same concerns I voiced previously (apologies, I can't find the page right now) were also echoed by KJ just recently on the design list.

The LibreOffice product, in my opinion, would not be where it is today, without the initial cooperation between teams and advocacy. Yup, your view is more pessimistic than mine. A lot has been achieved in just 2 years of market presence.

As for the logo dilemma, would the use of a community logo and a product logo confuse? No. Would we confuse the community and users/enterprises if we used one logo? Yes. Unfortunately, we started off with a "product logo" and IMO we should work towards another similar logo but with very subtle differences to identify our community.

Do we need a product logo? Yes, we absolutely need a product logo. Without a product logo, we risk confusing corporate/enterprise adoption and to a lesser extent user adoption. Competition in the OfficeSuite universe is fierce and going without a product logo does not seem like a good plan. Do we need a community logo? Yes, because we need to community build and people get that "fuzzy warm" feeling when they cozy up to a community logo.

Hope this clears up my opinions on this a bit.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/ConfCalls
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/2627 [3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Kick-Off/WhatWeNeed#Marketing_Team
[4] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements

--