Hi Marc,

How do you suggest users "adopt" a community?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Le 2012-12-21 10:11, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :

Hello Marc,

We should also get Italo's opinion on this as well, and, make a note of
the decision so that we do not go over it again.

A lot of the confusion is that the community and community-product ->
"LibreOffice Suite" share the same logo. We may need to differentiate
the two if we are to promote both. As you suggested, the "page icon with
surrounding people-figures" may need some work if we were to develop a
logo for the community.

Perhaps a combination of the formal logo (with subline) and the
suggested community-page-icon[1]? This would allow us a recognized brand
with two flavours -- community as well as product. If we were to adopt
this as our community logo, we would then have the following breakdown
in logos:

1. Community logo
* with TDF subline for official use
* without TDF subline for unofficial use

2. Product logo
* with TDF subline for official use
* without TDF subline for unofficial use

3. We would also have the LibreOffice "page" icon brand that, IMO, we
should also defend/protect against abuse. The page icon is the base for
many of our icon design development. We should develop brand recognition
for this as well.

So far the LibreOffice logo has been pushed more for the product than
the community. The proposed community logo[1] would be close enough to
the "up-to-now product logo" to gain quick brand recognition. Maybe we
should not mess around with the "up-to-now" product logo brand
recognition and develop a community logo in tandem with the product logo.

But again, why do you want to differentiate, esp. now that we're
essentially saying that we're not pushing the product but equate the
product and the community? Why a different logo? That's what I don't
get. It is not like there's a product, a company producing it, and then
a community of fans of the product with a specific identity. It is
rather that there's a community happening to develop a product and being
in charge of it at every stage. Am I missing something here? :-)
It appears to add one more layer of complexity and confusion on a
marketing team that's already struggling to take off...

best,
Charles.

I think the dilemma here is that we are in fact trying to do 2 things at
once. Up until the LibreOffice Conference 2012, we had been trying to
establish the LibreOffice "product" brand and have managed this quite well.
The iconic LibreOffice name, color (green) and iconic page-logo have a
foothold on the office suite circuit.

Since the LibreOffice Conference 2012, we are now shifting our approach to
branding our community (which, BTW, I much more prefer). However, we have
spent the last 2 years, working the medias, conferences etc. and have
achieved significant recognition by the public of the LibreOffice suite, by
and large, also by the recognition of the LibreOffice logo brand. I don't
believe that when the public/enterprises see the LibreOffice logo that they
have our community in mind, they rather see the LibreOffice product and
docs, and rightly so -- our marketing has worked. We were being a little
selfish in trying to get more people to adopt the product rather than adopt
the community.

In my opinion, I would suggest we not waste the product brand recognition
that has been gained in the last 2 years and throw it away in order to
"re-boot" our priorities. I think this would not be a good tactical move
for our product brand. I would now suggest we develop a community logo that
our social media websites could use to advance our community brand. The
logo does not have to be that much different from the established product
brand, but just have enough subtle differences to show community
involvement. However, the common design lines of the community and product
logos will work in our favour and help boost the community brand
recognition.

We can then work a little more on community building, which is quite
lacking at the moment.

Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com
http://www.parEntreprise.com