On 18 October 2011 17:51, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <
webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:

Well Apache could pull out some marketing money for somewhere.  It is a
"big name" to those in the IT industry.  So, there might be some ways for
them to raise money for their office product.

Probably more likely that someone outside ASF would do it given the way ASF
works. You can't fund raise for particular projects in the current ASF
system, they encourage people to do that sort of thing outside whether
through companies or voluntarily. But my view is that it would be best to
treat such things as a bonus if it happens and concentrate on fundraising
that promotes products without such dependency.

 I know that LO has some big name companies behind it, so if it is a name
game, we have some good ones, as far as I remember.

For Windows users, we need to find some way to get into shows and such to
convince these users to use LO.  If we can somehow get some of these Tech
magazines to include LO in one of their included CD/DVD of software that
seems to come out every so often, we might pick up a few [or many] users.
 EVERY Windows machine I deal with, I tell their owners about LO and if they
have an older copy of MSO [pre-2007] then I let them know that LO will deal
with those MSO files that their version cannot.  I tell them that I dropped
MSO years ago and still work with its files very well.  Plus the cost is
free.

It would be nice if we somehow could get some banner ad time on Google, or
other place that people go to often.  I do not deal with the social
networks, but there has to be some way we can get the word out to the
Windows users.  I wonder if could get more of the localized computer stores
[not chains maybe] who would give the software away or install it on every
system they sell.  A lot of the "mom and pop" stores do not sell MSO, due to
the up front costs to them.  Give it to them free, maybe a number of discs,
and see what happens.  I do not go into these stores much since if I need
something, I order it online where I can get it cheaper.  But if I need
something "today" I have gone in to buy once in a blue moon.

So somehow we need to get the Windows users.  Go after those who cannot
afford to buy MSO every time a new one comes out, or when they need an
office package for their kids at home or at college.

This rather reminds me of the marketing discussions over the last 10 years
with OpenOffice.org. All of these things are desirable but it seems
inordinately difficult to get much real traction from them.  I'm not trying
to discourage anyone from trying,just making an observation based on the
evidence from the past.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940