Comments to the article - at their online site - seems to bring out the point that users of OOo had issues with MSO format compatibility [like .docx and .pptx]. It seems that they think that LO has the same issues, when it does not. I worked with Word, Excel, and Power Point files [the ones that are not super complex with heavy micros] and I have very little with compatibility issues. I no longer use MSO and the last one was MSO 2003. Every MSO file I have received in the past 6 months opened 100% using LO. Some of MS's online templates are too complex with micros and such to work 100% but MS does not want non-MS users to be able to use them any more.

So, in these articles that talk about OOo and LO together, many times the writer assumes that they both have the same abilities. This is no longer true. OOo has not put out a version in a year and how many releases have LO made since then? 3.3.0 - 3.3.4 and 3.4.0 - 3.4.3. How much improved is LO's code and performance over OOo's version now?

So, I wish the writers would try out LO and know about its improvements over OOo BEFORE that call them the same software, but under different "ownership".

Maybe someone should make a chart with a side-by-side comparison of features/functions of the current LO packages compared to the last OOo package released. Then keep it up as the newer version come out. Then people can see a check-mark chart with many, many check-marks on LO side and not as many on OOo's side.
.