Le Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:53:55 -0400,
webmaster for Kracked Press Productions <webmaster@krackedpress.com> a
écrit :

Here is a marketing question that came from this thread;
If we do not capture a large market and following - larger the better
- what will happen to LO's market share when AOO comes out and they
spend the marketing dollars that LO does not have?

For this year, LO was lucky.  Without OOo producing a package after
3.3.0, LO started to get OOo people looking for a package that is
continuing to update its package.  I truly wonder how many OOo users
LO got because OOo was no longer issuing updates.  When AOO comes
out, how many will switch back?

I don't think it will be a "switch back". IBM has explained they would
contribute large chunks of code in 2012, which means the Apache
OpenOffice will become some sort of "New Symphony" office suite. It
will be two different products, so the people will switch based on
different factors.

Then there is the question on how do we keep our users instead of
them going back to the "original" version, not under Apache?  Right
now, open-source users have an older OOo version and the much more
developed LO package.  LO is the only way to go is you want to use
the best MS Office compatibility.  That was a major issue with the
older OOo.  That is currently LO's biggest feature with our
marketing, besides the price.  LO now can read/write .docx documents
[and the other formats] better than any other free alternative that I
know of.  If you do not have a MS document/spreadsheet/etc. filled
with complex micros, you can use LO with all your old MSO documents
and create all of your new ones as well.  This seems to work with
everything but Access [so I have read in these lists].

LO needs to gain marketing shares and do such a good job at
explaining why people and businesses should use our product, when AOO
comes out, we will have a market share that is very happy with out
product and will not be too willing to try AOO.  When it finally does
come out, we need to make sure our package is still the better one.
All of the initial articles stating that LO 3.3.0 was much better
than OOo 3.3.0 went to our favor.  Now we do not need to have
articles saying AOO is now better than LO.

So
ramp up marketing to get more loyal users
ramp up services to keep them loyal

When AOO comes out, we need to be the better product by a big
margin. They can send a lot of cash with marketing, while LO cannot.

er... they can't, actually.

We to keep growing and marketing at every event and show available.
We to get the public to back out package to the point that they will
not go to a big company's version.  Now the work really begins.

I'd  say you're making a very good point :-)
One thing though: we do have convergence points with AOO/Symphony, one
which being ODF, but there can be others.

For instance, the Apache Foundation seems to have release policies that
would make it perhaps hard to release binaries. In which case, it would
be up to someone else (IBM?) to release an actual product. In this case
AOO as it is would not be a direct competitor. But this needs to be
thought through.

best,
Charles.