On Sunday 14 Nov 2010 04:36:03 David Nelson wrote:
Hi, :-)

IMHO, it would be a good idea to have a competition for the logo
choice. It's a good way of attracting new contributors.

It doesn't work.  And if you want proof
OOo Art mailing list postings
http://www.mail-archive.com/art@marketing.openoffice.org/index.html

2006 postings 1044
2007 postings 715
2008 (Oh let's have a big contest for the OOo 3 splashscreen because it will
bring more people to the art project, oh and Bernhard took a study sabbatical)
postings 396
2009 (Where are all those new contributors, the contest was won by an outsider
who didn't even subscribe to the list IMS, point was he never came back, on
the upside Bernhard came back after getting some letters attached to his name,
that was the single biggest difference here and then look at the number of
individual contributors) postings 525
2010 (We're into month 11) postings:  163

And aren't Open Source projects supposed to be founded on meritocracy?

That is a nonsense argument, merit has nothing to do with competition, it has
to do with contribution and the quality of that contribution

One of the rules of entry could be that, if their work wins, entrants
should be willing to contribute to LibO/TDF in the long-term, and be
part of the process of developing and maintaining their material.

You can't force people to contribute, you have to give them a reason.  Your
thinking is old school corporate where people are competing for a check, the
reason people work for FOSS projects is .

I agree that a "hit-and-run" win is not beneficial for the project.
But the contact-building I've started with Linux distributions tells
me that there are quite a few people out there who'd be willing to do
work for LibO.

You would have to be blind to ignore the opinions that Thorsten linked to,
plus we don't want to be seen to be trying to steal contributors from other
OSS projects.

It seems to me that you have little history in FOSS, you are not a designer or
an artist and I see no merit in your arguments because they are not new, it's
all been done before, but you make no reference to history and in fact seem
hell bent on repeating all the mistakes of the past.

Building community is our primary aim as it is for any new FOSS project.
Making it easy to contribute is one of the goals of this community, taking
part in a competition is not contributing, it is competing as an individual
rather than contributing as part of a community.  Outsiders then compete
against the Community which is not inclusive it is divisive.

I'm sorry I'm having difficulty debating this in real time, my right arm is
still in plaster so it's a little hard to keep up, plaster off on wednesday
hopefully.  :)

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org