On 17/10/17 15:51, Toki wrote:
On 10/15/2017 10:44 AM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
Why is it only obvious to me that creating a separate “English locale”
(IOW, a complete copy of the source strings which would have to be kept in
sync and coherent at all times) is not sustainable?

Given that "English" itself is not coherent, you cannot have an
"English" locale that is "in sync and coherent". It's an impossibility.

The _ONLY_ issue with having both English(US) and English(UK), is the
lack of an initial l10n team for those two languages.

While I can't see it impacting LO, you also need to remember that en_UK
and en_US are actually two distinct languages with different
vocabularies and spellings (and indeed, maybe grammars?).

Okay, 99% of it is the same, but can somebody please tell me what a
rubber is? (If you look at my email address you'll know what *I* think
it is, but to an American it will mean something *completely* different
:-) There are plenty of words and phrases like that, and for a really
good example just take the phrase "to table a suggestion". Which has
OPPOSITE meanings in English and American.

I hate seeing the word "color" everywhere - my spell checker objects to
it as indeed it should - but that is the standard spelling when
programming :-( And using that spelling in Writer's menus, when the
spell-checker correctly objects to it, is not right.

Etc etc.

Cheers,
Wol