On 13/01/16 14:35, V Stuart Foote wrote:

Feel any better after that rant?

Sorry, it was not a rant, because the situation - as it is - is
unacceptable for serious Impress users, who have not been even asked
before changing the UI of the application they use most. They are not
subscribed to the design mailing list, and they should be asked before
changing the UI.

So, I am not feeling any better until I see a solution to the issue
created by the changes in the Impress user interface.

It was discussed during several Design meetings and is in the minutes--basic
thought remains that positioned at the top of the Slide pane the Mode Tab
Bar consumed too much vertical space.

This is not what Impress users think. Actually, they see it exactly in
the opposite way. The implemented solution is a significant step back
not only for me but for all the Impress users I have talked to.

When refactored it was provided with a simple View menu toggle "Modes Tab
Bar" so "power users", or the intransigent, can enable or disable it as
desired--but no longer consuming the vertical space by default.

The toggle is hidden by default and this is just a stupid decision. In
addition, the menu bar icon is less practical than the Mode Tab Bar (two
clicks instead of one).

The Mode Tab Bar close to the work area was a competitive advantage over
PowerPoint and Keynote, as switching views was easier and quicker than
with PowerPoint and Keynote. Now Impress is behind PowerPoint and as bad
as Keynote (but is missing the keyboard shortcut).

Also, putting master views at the same level of slide views in another
bad idea, because users - who are making stupid things by definition -
will not understand what to choose to change view.

In addition, users inside enterprises are not allowed to work on
masters, so when we were training them we were simply telling them to
ignore the menu. With the actual solution, users will access masters
even if they should not, and this will create support issues (users
calling because they are lost in a master slide).

Coming back to you first comment: no, I do not feel any better, and I
will not feel better until the current situation will be addressed.
Impress is not ideal, but making it worse is not a solution.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
mobile +39.348.5653829 - email / jabber italo@libreoffice.org