Hi Christoph, Ivan, all

Christoph Noack schrieb:
Hi Ivan!

Thanks for starting / continuing the idea of a better roadmap!

+1 !

I'll stay with LibO 3.3 for the moment, as this is the most pressing action item IMHO.

Am Montag, den 22.11.2010, 22:53 +1300 schrieb Ivan M.:
Hello all,

[...] Recently, we have had a broad, general roadmap
proposed, which is a good first step. However, there are specifics
that (IMHO) should be decided as early as possible so that we can
channel people's creativity [...]
Just for reference, here is the proposed roadmap [1]:
[... roadmap ...]

For 3.3, is there anything left to refine, and is there still time to
do it? For example, I noticed that the LibO installer icon comes in
only 32x32, which looks bad on versions of Windows where icons are
scalable - is there time to change things like that?

*Graphics included in the product*

I think Christoph has done a great job in creating the fist version of these graphics:

- Start center
- About box
- Installer graphics for Windows, Linux and Mac

I didn't manage to download and install Beta 3 by now, so I can't say if there is anything left to update these graphics and adapt them to the new contemporary style.

Reading Christoph's blog and knowing him for some time I think they are all up-to-date: ;-)
http://luxate.blogspot.com/2010/11/libreoffice-33-artwork-improvements_18.html

*New Mimetype and Document Icons*

Oh, there are some more important things ... like the application icons,
or the MIME type icons. Some of us might accept the old OOo icons to
serve as placeholders, but if anybody comes up with a viable alternative
(that continues the design language of the LibO branding and the old
icons), it might be possible to ship them (he said that, without having
talked to the development or even QA).

I'd love to see new LibO icons (still as placeholders) to avoid people thinking we're going back to OOo3.0 not only with visuals but with content too.

The number of necessary icons can be seen if you look at the galaxy mimetype icon page:
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo30MimeType.html

But these have been the icons for OOo3.0. Since OOo3.2.1 the document icons have been replaced by the ODF icons, and if yo u look at this list, I can't imagine, that they can be replaced in appropriate time:
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/operations/sources/repository/show/odficons2?rev=3

For design, I like Ivan's second proposal best:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Mimetype_Icons/Proposals#Second_Draft

They don't introduce any new metaphors, but repeat the existing interim design, so they can be replaced together with the other initial branding by the community branding.

I don't know how much it takes to adapt them to the latest color scheme and to create the icons still missing (different sizes, math, high contrast). For document icons we could use the mimetype icons at the moment (perhaps with only the border of the upper right corner), templates should look a bit differently.

If we could agree on documents using the unchanged mimetype icons, the "empty corner" icons could be used for the templates.

Ivan - Do you think such work is manageable?

Can you provide the sources (or did you already)?

Does anybody know about the time left to integrate them in the sources for LibO 3.3 ?

*Promotional Material*

Nearly as important as the icons is artwork and marketing material based on the initial branding.

We need

- Web buttons
- Web banners
- Posters
- Flyers
- Presentation Template (already done)
- CD labels and covers
- Stickers and Merchandising (important for fairs and "launch parties")

- a dedicated area to present them
(similar to what I did for OOo:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery)

Probably I forgot something important - please add your thoughts and ideas.

And when we decided about our wiki pages structure (discussed on the marketing list), we should create a page containing these points...

Best regards

Bernhard