Hi Björn,

2012/5/2 Björn Balazs <b@lazs.de>

Am Montag, 30. April 2012, 23:25:32 schrieb Mirek M.:
I did contact the mentors of all the GSoC projects with need for design
privately [1] [2], but I did make the mistake of not reposting the one
with
Muthu Subramanian, the mentor for the Impress remote project, publicly.
Here is a copy of the conversation:

Thanks for posting this. Actually this would have been one of the most
usefull
mails on the list, because it helps to understand if it is worth to step
in or
not. Because of this missing, I felt the rest of this thread was white
noise.
If you published these, we cold have told you that the work is done by the
student and not the mentor, so contacting the student is almost as
important.
Thanks again - and great you did contact the mentor.

I did realize the work was done by the student, but I believed the mentor
was the project lead and therefore it seemed like I should contact him
instead.

The other thing that bothers me is when they finally do join in on the
conversation they one get us off track, forcing us sometimes to make a
completely new thread just to get what we were working on done. But even
worse is once the second thread has been made there is no interest in it.

This and your point above both have the same roots. We have not agreed on
the
goals we want to achieve with our designs, we have not agreed on the users
(I
found personas, but not how they were created or any case of them ever
being
used actively).

So far, personas have been done by designers without proper concensus, but
they should be done (or at least approved) by the developers in charge of
the project, since they should know more than anyone who they want to
design for.
You're right -- they haven't been used actively yet. Would you prefer it to
be required to include personas in the design proposals, detailing how the
design would help each person?

What kind of goals do you mean?
In my view, the Scope is restrictive enough to keep all design proposals on
topic, yet open enough to allow some creativity and not mandate a single
workflow.

Most of the time design - esp. interaction design for a tool like
LibreOffice
- is not art - it is craftsmanship. Different craftsmen (aka designers)
should
come to almost the same solution, if they have the same briefing.

Thus it is not necessary to have competitions on design. Most of these
competetions are due to lacking requirements. Simply the discussion is not
lead about the requirements, but about derivates from it - design
solutions.
This is how we produce white noise, ineffective workflows and this is also
the
reason for people jumping into a discussion, trying to bring in something,
others obviously have overlooked.

I don't agree. I believe the Scope itself should provide the necessary
restrictions for a good design. It is imperative that the Scope is defined
precisely and in detail, but not in a way to restrict the creativity of
designers when it doesn't need to.
There are a myriad of ways to design for a single feature -- just look at
the amounts of OS shells cropping up lately, all with a different workflow.
Interaction design is craftsmanship, yes, but good craftsmanship itself
requires artistry and out-of-the-box thinking.