Hi Björn,

In the past I (and many other experienced design and usability people)
more or
less left this group / mailing list. This is definitely not due to a lack
of
interest - I still read a lot of the stuff written here.

Sure, it's a huge problem that we don't have any UX professional as a
regular contributor currently. But is it not a tad unfair to blame the
people that are actively working on things here for that not being the case?
I'm sure if there was no one posting here at all, the UX professionals
wouldn't come in droves either.

I am not writing this to show off - I am writing this in the hope you
might be
interested in the experience I gained over the past years and you might
accept
my following criticism to be constructive - and not as trolling or ranting
around.

It's probably best to lead by example not by criticising... no?

- nobody from the design team even talked to the GSOC student or the
mentor

I believe this criticism is unfair, in particular to Mirek. (Who posted his
conversation in this thread; he's talked to relevant developers on other
topics as well.)

- there was no proper analysis of requirements

You might be able to help us here, I guess. We're currently using the Scope
field of Whiteboards. If you want to propose a better process to go along
with that, please do.

- there was no agreement on the goals that need to be achieved (just to
name
some)

Hm, this is one of my own criticism of the current whiteboard workflow we
have. So yes, I agree.

UX is a service discipline to the coders. If we do this service well
enough,
we might be able to set our own topics on the agenda - but to my
experience
this will take a (very) long time of providing excellent service first.

We're trying to go into this direction. Meanwhile, there's still ux-advise
for very focused UX advice. If would like to help out there: would love
that.

A bit unrelated, but also important: with the current way of doing
things, we
are creating such an amount of white noise on the mailing list that some
people (like me) simply cannot follow the discussions anymore.

So, you blame the people actively trying to work here for actively trying
to work here?
This list might get 50 messages per week on good weeks, it's near dead on
bad weeks. Our mail volume doesn't even come close to that of the developer
list (80 messages _per day_ on a good week, maybe 20 _per day_ on a bad
week).
By the nature of this list, yes, the noise ratio is higher than e. g. on
the developer list (developers push patches that will likely get applied;
designers do mockups/etc. that might not lead to anything or even be
completely wrong-headed).
You're free not to read everything, btw.

Regards,
Astron.

PS: On the topic of surveys... I'd be very much interested in a survey on
the placement of the Add/Remove buttons on my conditional formatting
proposal. I imagine having ~three participant groups, and each group gets a
more-or-less functional HTML mockup with differently positioned Add/Remove
buttons. Would that be something that we could do together?