2012/5/1 Stefan Knorr (Astron) <heinzlesspam@googlemail.com>

I am not writing this to show off - I am writing this in the hopeyou
might be
interested in the experience I gained over the past years and you might
accept
my following criticism to be constructive - and not as trolling or
ranting
around.

It's probably best to lead by example not by criticising... no?

Frankly, I really appreciate Björn's feedback -- it's this kind of feedback
that makes us rethink our work processes and it makes the chances of
anything we design getting implemented much higher.

Not everyone can afford the time to contribute, and when you feel like the
team's processes are completely misguided, you don't even feel like
contributing.

That said, I believe I've done all I could to get the relevant developers
involved, whether they do is their decision. Right now, we can't afford to
wait with the GSoC whiteboards -- we have 3 weeks to produce a design for
four whiteboards, and that's the minimum time that our idea workflow allows.

 > - nobody from the design team even talked to the GSOC student or the
mentor

I believe this criticism is unfair, in particular to Mirek. (Who posted his
conversation in this thread; he's talked to relevant developers on other
topics as well.)

Yeah, but I posted the conversation afterwards, so it's understandable that
Björn would think that nobody contacted the mentor or the student.

- there was no proper analysis of requirements

You might be able to help us here, I guess. We're currently using the Scope
field of Whiteboards. If you want to propose a better process to go along
with that, please do.

- there was no agreement on the goals that need to be achieved (just to
name
some)

Hm, this is one of my own criticism of the current whiteboard workflow we
have. So yes, I agree.

The goals should be part of the Scope as well. The Scope is basically the
definition of what traits the design should have.
Goals are further cleared up by the Personas (the kinds of users the design
is intended for).